Monday, July 20, 2009

Sweeney Odd



I watched Sweeney Todd last night and finished feeling a mixture of hatred and delight. A barber with a beautiful wife is thrown into prison for a crime he didn't commit by a judge infatuated with his wife. After 15 years in prison he makes his way back to London to exact his revenge. I knew going in that Tim Burton enjoys making strange movies, playing with color pallets and walking the fine line of discomfort.



Even still there were points in this movie that shocked me into laughter. I really felt that I was watching a play instead of a movie (yes I know it is based off a Broadway musical). The story itself is very strange and most of the "plot twists" I could see coming from a mile away. I hated all but one character (a little boy named Toby)



and I did not understand or believe the "love" between Anthony and Johanna.



At times it felt to me that some scenes that should have been short and entertaining became long and somewhat boring because they had to fit a song into it. However, as a whole it was very entertaining. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are very good singers and work amazingly well together. The murders and disposal of bodies was so brutal it came off as comical which somewhat lightened the mood of an incredibly dark film. While the setting itself looked like something I dreamed up after eating some bad food I found myself mesmerized by the colors and textures.



Overall I would say it's definitely worth watching, but I wouldn't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment