Monday, May 11, 2009

Twilight



For about 6 months now I have had a number of people tell me to read Twilight. I wasn't all that interested, but I took Delaynee to the library to get some more princess books and there it was so I checked it out. I did not want to put that book down. Stephenie Meyer was able to capture my attention and keep it just as well as J.K. Rowling did with the Harry Potter series and I have been waiting forever to find a book that could do that. I actually didn't really want to like it. I wanted to be able to say that I thought it was stupid and call a bunch of people idiots, but much to my displeasure it was awesome. The main character reminds me of myself so it was easy for me to relate to her and Edward's internal battle was both comical and enthralling. I loved it. I joined a book club recently and was able to pick 5 books for free and I found the set of all 4 of the Twilight series books that only counted for 2 so I am impatiently awaiting their arrival.



Yesterday was Mother's Day and I treated myself by buying the movie. Jesse and I watched it while downing a bottle of vino after putting the kids to bed. I hate when people go on and on about how a book is better than a movie, but really in this case it was a lot better. The movie was OK, but the scenes that were really intense in the book came off as funny and awkward in the movie. The actors did fine jobs and I am not sure how I would have done it differently, but for me it didn't really capture the essence of the book. It was very evident that the demographic is high school girls, but I still liked it because I liked the book so much. If you watched the movie and it put you off of reading the book I really recommend reading it anyway.

2 comments:

  1. The actress that plays the main character reminds me of an uglier, paler, you. As in you are more attractive and are tanned.

    Oh, she's also more emo, but then again, you sometimes go all out and read a book 10 times in a row. Especially if it's about vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her character in the book reminds me of myself too. Maybe that's why I like it so much. Nobody loves me like me :)

    ReplyDelete